Tuesday 16 October 2012


my new print is finished- this one, Makambo, is part of my series on australian imagery and stories. I came across this story while looking into my other series on extinct birds. the SS Makambo was a steamship that ran aground off Lord Howe Island, Australia in 1918. In the time it took for the ship to be repaired and refloated, black rats were able to come ashore. The rats were the direct cause of the extinction of five bird species and sub species that were found only on the island. 

This print features the five birds, the Lord Howe Gerygone, the Lord Howe Island Thrush, the Lord Howe Starling, the Lord Howe Fantail and the Robust White Eye, along with some of the plant species native to the island.




here is how the birds start out, and below, the Makambo. Obviously I am not someone who draws boats, so it didn't make the final! The print is available now in my Etsy shop.




lastly, I had to share this lovely coin purse made by one of my customers, Nina, with some of my australiana series prints. So pretty! thanks for sending me the image!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment